Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Ever So Helpful Google


During dinner, my father, his girlfriend, and I were discussing about the internet and its benefits. Just recently I helped my father sign up for a Facebook account so he could get in touch with old colleges and family from other countries. In a matter of minutes, we were done and had already contacted several family and friends. I also showed him my survey I created using Google Docs, and told him how it created the spreadsheets with all the results intact (he loves spreadsheets). What once would have taken hours to create, using HTML code, now takes only minutes, as websites have it all built for you, ready to use, and only our creativity and cooperation to contribute.
Actually just the other day, my boyfriends grandfather, who's in his 70's, e-mailed him for the first time. Can you believe that this was the same man, that when I first met him, he had to ask Ivan (my boyfriend) for help to use the DVD player. That shows how simple it can be, if someone from a generation long before computers, could learn to use todays technology. (Not like it's ever to late)
I really enjoyed making my survey, and how easy it was to add and delete questions. I think this will be great in classrooms, as it's quick, simple and fun. Not to mention the amount of paper it will save (I'm somewhat of an environmentalist). And looking at the other tools Google has to offer, specifically for teachers, is such a great benefit, and to add in the fact that it's free, is a major plus. Technology shines a whole new light into the classroom, for new and different opportunities, for teachers and students. Something that everyone can look forward too.

No comments:

Post a Comment